Enjoying the summertime around your Oklahoma City property is a lot of fun, but that enjoyment can quickly end when mosquitoes come out and start biting. These bites can be itchy and annoying, and they are also potentially dangerous.
No one wants to be bitten by mosquitoes, but these nasty pests do prefer some people over others. Certain factors make you more likely to be bitten by mosquitoes, and while some of these factors are within your control, some of them are not.
Studies have found that mosquitoes tend to go for people who are pregnant, have type O blood, have been drinking, have been working out or sweating, and who are wearing darker-colored clothing.
However, other environmental factors can also attract mosquitoes to an area. In this guide, you’ll learn all of the reasons you could be dealing with mosquitoes around your property and also get some helpful tips on how to avoid being bitten.
Factors That Attract Mosquitoes To Your Property
Mosquitoes need two basic things to thrive. The first is access to standing water as this is where they lay their eggs, and the second is ample space to rest in shaded areas during the day.
Because of this, having water sources and standing water on your property can bring mosquitoes in, and you could also make the environment more hospitable to them if you have an overgrown yard.
In order to make your property less appealing to mosquitoes, follow these four steps:
- Remove standing water from your property and ensure rainwater can drain as even pooled water on your lawn can draw them in.
- Make sure to regularly trim dense foliage including trees, bushes, and shrubs.
- Remove yard clutter and debris and always clean up leaf clippings and dead leaves.
- Keep any hot tubs, water fountains, or pools treated with the correct chemicals and kept clean. If possible, you can also keep lids on these features to keep mosquitoes away
Some Tips To Avoid Being Bitten
Along with making your property less welcoming to mosquitoes, you can also take some steps to make mosquitoes less likely to bite you. While some things, such as your blood type, can’t be avoided, there are many things you can do to seem less tasty to these pests, such as:
- Wear light-colored clothing.
- Avoid going outside during dusk as this is when mosquitoes are most active.
- Wear mosquito repellent when going outdoors even if you’re just around your own property.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or other sweet-smelling food and drink items when outside.
- If you’ve recently been sweating, clean up before spending time outdoors.
How Can You Protect Your Property From Mosquitoes?
While it’s always helpful to take steps on your own to prevent mosquitoes, they are simply a difficult pest to keep away. It can be impossible to control all of the environmental factors that bring them around, and most DIY removal methods aren’t very effective.
However, there is one way to greatly reduce the number of mosquitoes around your property, and it’s with help from the experts at Pestmaster® Services. We provide reliable, efficient mosquito prevention and control, and we even offer free quotes to make it easy to get started.
Give us a call today to learn more!